Excel allows you to sort the data in your worksheets by any number of attributes. One of the things that you can sort by is colors. Specifically, Excel allows you to sort by both the color of the cell and the color of the text within the cell. Follow these steps:
- Select the data that you want to sort or select a cell within the data you want to sort.
- Display the Data tab of the ribbon.
- Click the Sort tool. (It is in the Sort & Filter group.) Excel displays the Sort dialog box.
- Using the drop-down list in the Sort On column, select either Cell Color or Font Color, depending on which one you want to use in your sort. (See Figure 1.)
- Using the drop-down list in the Order column, select the color by which you want to sort. (Excel allows you to sort by any color within the range you are sorting.)
- Using the second (right-most) drop-down list in the Order column, specify whether the color you picked in step 5 should be on top or on bottom.
- If you want to additionally sort by other colors, click the Add Level button and repeat steps 4 through 6 for the additional level.
- Click OK.
Figure 1. The Sort dialog box when sorting by color.
At this point your data is sorted according to the specifications you created.