Anyone who has created a large workbook knows that it is very easy to create a large list of named ranges. Managing those ranges, particularly if you inherit the workbook from someone else, is a much harder task. Part of the problem is that you may lose track of all your ranges and what they refer to.
Having a list of the names in your workbook could be helpful. To get a list, follow these steps:
- Select the cell where you want the list to start. Since a name list can occupy a good deal of space, you may want to select a cell in a blank worksheet.
- Display the Formulas tab of the ribbon.
- In the Defined Names group, click the Use In Formula tool. (This tool is not available if there are no named ranges in your workbook.) Excel displays a list of options.
- Choose Paste Names from the submenu. Excel displays the Paste Name dialog box.
- Click on Paste List. The two-column list of names and their ranges is inserted.