If you want to copy the contents of a cell without formatting, you can easily do so by using the Paste Special feature of Excel. Simply follow these steps:
- Select the cells whose contents you want to copy.
- Press Ctrl+C to copy them to the Clipboard.
- Select the cell where you want to paste the contents.
- Display the Home tab of the ribbon.
- Click the down-arrow under the Paste tool. From the options presented, choose Formulas.
In step 5 you could have chosen one of the Paste Values options, but Excel would not have transferred any formulas. Instead, it would have pasted the results of formulas, as if they were static values. In other words, to truly copy cell contents, you must use the Formulas option.